From January 1, 2021, people who are 17 years old can apply for a learner’s license for cars and trailers (category B and BE). Those born between 2001 and 2003 are subject to special regulations.
You were born after 2003
- At the earliest two months before you turn 17, you can apply for your learner’s license so that you can get behind the wheel on time for your birthday if you have the theory test in your pocket by then.
- A one-year learning phase is mandatory from 2022 if you are less than 20 years old, when acquires the learner’s license
You were born in 2003
- You are one of the winners: You can acquire the learner’s license at the age of 17 and still don’t have to go through a one-year learning phase
- As soon as you turn 18, you can take the practical car test
- If you only acquire the learner’s license in 2022, you have to go through the one-year learning phase
You saw the light of day before 2003
- If you get your driver’s license before 20 you will not have a one-year learning phase in 2021
- From 2022, the one-year learning phase will apply to all those who acquire the learner’s license before their 20th birthday
Companion for learning trips
For learning drives, as before, you must have an accompanying person in the passenger seat who is at least 23 years old and has had a driver’s license for 3 years (trial period completed). The companion must be able to easily reach the handbrake.
Was that a little quick now? No problem! Click on the Whatsapp symbol below and send me a voice message or text message with your situation. You will have an answer within 24 hours.